By Karl Johnny Hersvik, Senior Vice President for Research & Development (R&D), Technology, Projects and Drilling (TPD)
First of all; thank you for challenging me, Sigrun.
I believe that your diagnosis is quite precise and that both a change of diet and an increased amount of exercise to make the patient recover fully. The cure might require a lot both from the patient and those watching over her.
I find the topic – Norway’s innovation capabilities – highly interesting. There is reason to claim that both Statoil as a company and the Norwegian oil and gas supply industry have a proud innovative history. What we have achieved together during the last four decades, is by all accounts impressive.
Despite an impressive technology history, we can not rest on our laurels. Globally there is a massive global focus on innovation and technology development, not only in our industry. And the ambitions are sky high. I love the first sentence of “Innovation and Research Strategy for Growth” published by UK Department for Business Innovation and Skills: “The UK has the potential to be a world leader in innovation”. That is the kind of attitude that I like!
However, the business environment are changing, and changing rapidly. The technological challenges are becoming more complex. We are going deeper, longer and colder. Innovation is a key factor to solve the challenges facing us. Statoil is an international oil and gas company with activities all over the world. We are recruiting globally, we are collaborating with the best wherever they may be, our ambition is to become a world leading research and development organization. Still, we are dependent on an internationally competitive, vigorous and innovative industry in Norway.
Statoil we are taking the consequences of the global changes and our drive to become world leading.
- We are changing our name from Research & Development to Research, Development & Innovation. This is not a cosmetic change. Through the establishment of a new business unit that will only focus on innovation, we are putting innovation higher on the agenda and will work more systematically with innovation as a tool
- We are going to learn from the best. Innovation is about collaboration and networking – through RDI we will systematically work to broaden the networks both internally and externally and enhance the innovation capabilities in Statoil. The agreement with University of Texas at Austin is one example
- We are going to work more systematically to recognize and facilitate radical innovation. A team has been established to enhance our capabilities for radical thinking and testing of out of the box ideas
- We will develop tools and structures that improves innovative efforts in Statoil
- We will equip our leadership with tools that enables them to stimulate innovation. Quality in leadership is essential. The Technology Capture Forum is assessing ideas and provide advice and funding for further development. This ensures management involvement at high level – early in the process
- We are globalizing our activities to be closer to the most innovative environments
- We are increasing our RD budget with 25% from 2011 to 2012
- Statoil’s Global Strategy and Business Development unit (GSB) is instrumental in Statoil’s further success for business and commercial opportunities. This unit has significantly raised the issue of how to become more innovative through e.g. the ProtoForum where key managers across business areas are gathered to share experience, knowledge and identify common areas of interest for further development
- We have established innovation fascilitators on our locations to support inventors through low threshold funding and networking with their peers
- We are reaching out to people with great ideas through this website because we strongly believe that there are so many clever people outside our company. This site is in it’s early phase and we learn as we go – but expect a more aggressive and more visible messages from this site in near future! We will make it clear that we are serious about innovation – and that when working with us is truly an experience worthwhile the passion and hard work for the good ideas
To sum it up: We have a proud technology heritage in Statoil. Now we are stepping up our efforts within research, technology development and innovation.
The patient will survive but the recovery will demand a lot from us!